Monday, July 28, 2008

More to Learn

I find even now I am still learning things about writing and publishing.

Some things I thought I knew, I didn’t. Some things I thought I didn’t know, I did.

Sometimes you have to take a chance even if it may not work out as well as you would like. I had a review site for gay historical fiction request to review The Squire. I had a feeling it might be trashed. I went ahead and sent it over for review anyway.

I was correct that it was trashed. Well, for historical details, anyway. One was a simple misspelling leaving a letter out of a word, but the word was important and without that letter it takes on a new meaning. So, I learned that I need to be more careful. I should have gotten it right. It was absolutely my responsibility to do so.

I somewhat disagree with their take on the squire aspect. I am well aware that squires became squires at a young age, a boy really. I meant to imply in the story that Duncan was a two-year new squire to William, not that he was a new squire at sixteen. Obviously I failed to make that clear and I take responsibility for that as well. I don’t agree with the comment about horse riding. I didn’t say he couldn’t ride, but rather he disliked it and wasn’t that great at it. I stand by that as I do know people who know how to ride horses but not necessarily well or well-loved.

Anyway, in spite of being trashed for the historical details the review did mention the sex was red-hot and enjoyable and the characters too. The reviewer even said they would check out future works because I can obviously tell a good tale in and out of the bedroom.

So, I learned something from this review. I need to be more careful when writing historical works in the future to get it right. Even stuff I knew, which I conveyed incorrectly. I can’t change it, but I can change future works.

Got the edits for The Prisoner for Wild Rose Press. Nothing too bad from the looks of it. I’ll be working on It’s Only Make Believe this week which is a contemporary m/f erotic romance. Then once that is off to where it needs to go, I’ll be back to A Knight For All, my historical ménage erotic romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment