Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Wide Variety of Tastes

I suppose that is why there are so many books/stories out there.

I have friendly relationships with some fellow writers, for example, that freely admit wherever they post (and some of them post in a lot of places) that they just don’t get the appeal of m/m romances. They think because they are heterosexual themselves they can only appreciate heterosexual sex I guess. Whatever. That is their right to feel that way, but in my opinion they limit themselves and miss out on some really amazing love stories (and no I don’t mean my own). Again, though, I respect their right to have that opinion.

I am quite certain there are a number of folks who feel that way, but I also know that there are a lot of us out there that enjoy those stories. I read them before I started writing them and yes I am even turned on by them. Lots of us are. Does that mean I don’t also like to read heterosexual sex? No, of course not. I enjoy many stories from that genre too. Including your average every day non-erotic romances.

I love to read horror novels by Stephen King. I know there are lots of others out there who agree, but probably just as large a number that think…eww.

There are certainly stories I do not care for either that many readers love. I cannot get into Western and Civil War romances no matter how hard I try. Nope, just can’t. I have tried them. I think, again only my opinion, in order to decide you don’t like to read a particular genre you ought to read something from it. I have. Still don’t like them. Funny thing is two of my favorite all time movies are Western-themed but for some reason the idea just does not translate into romances for me.

I love true-crime books and often read books that have grisly, disturbing details of crimes. Definitely not for the faint of heart. A lot of folks are too disturbed to read those books. I can completely understand.

I’ve read a few ménage stories but not a lot because I have a bit of a problem with non-monogamous relationships. No matter if you are a m/f or a m/m I believe in a two person relationship. Some books work really well with this though and I have read some that are quite hot. I’m writing one myself that is supposed to be for one of my publishers and I can honestly say it is a huge challenge for me. I doubt I will write another one. I think this is it for me. I do hope that I can do justice for it though and make it a story readers enjoy and want to read.

Anyway, I guess there are people out there surprised by the popularity of m/m erotic romances. I’m not one of them. I’ve long had an interest there. I know there are people who were surprised by the popularity of vampire novels. I’ve heard writers say they just don’t get the sexual appeal of a bloodsucker. I suppose they would be really shocked at my friend’s gay vampire story. Fabulous, fabulous beginning by the way. She hasn’t finished it but it’s really one of my favorite stories she has worked on.

Speaking of, it’s great to have found a fellow writer who understands the appeal of what you like to write. I have had other critique partners and they wouldn’t get it in a million years. Who knew joining my chapter’s critique group would be such a terrific decision for me and not because of the crits I got there.

Anyway, I am drifting from my topic. Write what you want to write. Regardless of what the naysayer’s might say. If it is a well-written story the readership is out there for whatever genre you’d like to write. You won’t and can’t please everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment